Hepatitis C Do Not Be Affraid

Do not let Hepatitis C get you down! You need to get a good support system around you! You need your family and friends. You need to also reach out to a local suport group and if there isn't one in your area start one. That is what I did 6 years ago and we started with just two people but once the word got out we grew like crazy.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Support Group Febuary 2011

Well group was great I learned alot of new stuff and I think others did as well. It was like a bunch of friends sitting around the dining room table having coffee telling our life stories and getting a few good laughs. There was hope in the eyes of some and still that long away site in one. I want to always come out of group with everyone hopeful and happy. But I know in reality that that may not always happen. I will never stop trying though. The whole idea of starting and running this group has been a big God inspired thing in my life. It has given me meaning and drive to find a cure for this disease. I started it not even having a clue of how to run anything like a group of any kind. But I have learnt alot in the last 6 years. Heck it might even be 7 years. Time has just flown by and some memory too. (o:  I knew there were others out there that needed a place to come to be able to be with others who knew exactly what they were going through to be able to meet together and become one so to speak.  Weather there is only one person or ten just being able to be there for them is fulfilling to me. I see such hope in their eyes at time that it only makes me stronger in my walk with Hepatitis C. I want to only make the group grow and grow because I know that there is many and I mean many more out there who have this disease that need a group. And I know that there is alot more out there then the ones that come to group because I have talked to them on the phone and they are still afraid of the stigma on the disease that they do not want anyone to know who they are. So they suffer silently alone. It just hurts my heart to have this happen. And not only is there those who will not come to group there is so many of the people out there that do not even know that they have it. Because as I have learnt in time studying this disease that some go on without being detected. Some only find out by donating blood. They do not suffer from any of the systems that some of us do. Like the flu like systems that can at times be so awful they keep you in bed feeling to tired to move. Or some do not find out that they have it til their Liver is in full blown Cirrhosis. I really want to see the government make it a mandatory thing for everyone to get tested yearly for Hepatitis C. So we are not losing so many people to Liver failure. Passing that bill will take some time I am sure but I will forever try to work on it. Even if I have to go one state at a time. In group last night I found a couple of needs that also need to be met. One Like I think I have said in past blogs. My 12 year old daughter who also has Hepatitis C ( contracting it during childbirth ). Well I think we need a support group for children suffering with Hep to have a place for them to go and connect. Maybe this would have to be a website chat room based group. But the need is out there. So that is something else I am going to work on. Anyone who has input please post it. Also I think there needs to be a support group started for those children who parents are positive with Hepatitis C. To go and connect as well. So there is something else I am going to work on. Well I will close for now.
Everyone have a great day! And remember to be happy in the moment because we do not know when and if the next moment will be given to us.
Christie

No comments:

Post a Comment