Hepatitis C Do Not Be Affraid

Do not let Hepatitis C get you down! You need to get a good support system around you! You need your family and friends. You need to also reach out to a local suport group and if there isn't one in your area start one. That is what I did 6 years ago and we started with just two people but once the word got out we grew like crazy.

Monday, January 24, 2011

HIP ON HEP C SUPPORT GROUP

We are a non-profit support group and organization for Hepatitis C. I started the support group when my youngest daughter was diagnosed. I had found out just four years earlier that I was positive for Hepatitis C. I contracted it in 1987 when my oldest son was born. I had to have a blood transfusion. And after having a C-Section with my youngest daughter she contracted it from me because of a cut she had on her head. Because Hepatitis C is spread from blood to blood. I knew I needed a support group once I was diagnosed and never found one in my area. And then once my daughter was diagnosed I knew the only thing left to to was to start my own support group. I had no clue what I was doing or where to turn. But with the help of my community and friends I got one started. Everything else just feel into place. At first some people were like what is Hepatitis C. But once they found out they were 210% open to the whole idea of me getting the awareness out and starting a group. Then like ants running to sugar the people with Hepatitis C came out of the wood work. Granted some of them do not wish to attended our monthly group sessions but at least they still reached out for phone support. So before you know it we became a non-profit organization. We also put on an annually HepFest festival for the state of Indiana ( surrounding area's are welcome). The whole event is free. We have live music, speakers, free blood testing vouchers for our local hospital, food and a KidZone, free informational literature and much much more! It is a day where we can all let loose and enjoy a day filled with people who understand what we are going through and also a day where we can educate the public. We also have a Hepatitis Awareness Day for the state. And reach out in every way you can think of to make sure the public is aware and has all the information they need to understand this disease. My goal behind this all is to find a cure for Hepatitis C and heal my daughter and everyone out there suffering with Hepatitis C right now. Please if you are in the area and have the time to make a meeting on the third Friday of the month look us up on the Dekalb Memorial Hospital website.
Everyone have a great day!!!
Christie Soaper
CEO/Founder/Group Coordinator
Hip On Hep C Support Group  

No comments:

Post a Comment